Russian teen set off mini-bombs in US: Roommate
Altoona: A college student from Russia has been arrested and charged with building a suspected bomb in his bedroom at an apartment near Penn State`s satellite campus in Altoona, Pennsylvania.
Vladislav Miftakhov, 18, a student at the Altoona campus, was in jail yesterday after being arrested Friday and charged with possessing a weapon of mass destruction, risking a catastrophe and several other drug and weapons counts, according to court records.
The records did not list a lawyer for Miftakhov, who was being held on USD 500,000 bail.
His roommate Andrew Leff said Miftakhov had recently set off three "mini-bombs" just outside their apartment.
Leff told the Altoona Mirror newspaper that he had advised Miftakhov to get rid of the bomb-making materials. He called Miftakhov a "dumb" and "crazy" kid who was bored and impulsive, but not dangerous.
"He was off the wall," Leff told the Mirror.
No one answered a telephone call yesterday to an address listed for Miftakhov in California.
In the affidavit, police said they were investigating a reported marijuana growing operation at Miftakhov`s apartment reported by the landlord when they found a suitcase holding two containers with exposed fuses and other explosives-related materials. The devices were later dismantled by Pennsylvania State Police troopers.
An Altoona Police officer in the apartment asked Miftakhov what he was going to do with the devices and Miftakhov responded that he was going to "blow things up," according to the affidavit.
Later, under questioning at the police station, Miftakhov said he had experimented with the devices in California, but never in Pennsylvania, and he had not planned on blowing up anything, the affidavit said.
"Miftakhov stated his intent was to set the devices off in a remote field and he did not intend on `blowing anything up,`" the affidavit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj