Russian teenager hangs herself over doomsday fears
Moscow: A 14-year-old girl from Russia`s Volga Republic of Mari El hanged herself last Saturday (May 21) over fears that the world would end, investigators said on Wednesday, RIA Novosti reported.
May 21 was the day that American preacher Harold Camping said Christians would be taken into heaven ahead of the apocalypse.
Investigator Alexander Kosharin said the girl`s behaviour changed dramatically when she learned about Camping`s predictions.
"Whales are trying to beach themselves and birds are dying - it is just the beginning of the end," the girl wrote in a `death diary`.
"We are not righteous people, only they will go to heaven, the others will stay here on Earth to go through terrible sufferings," she wrote.
"I don`t want to die like the others. That`s why I`ll die now," the girl said in her last message.
Investigators are currently probing her ties with "informal youth groups" or religious sects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation