Russian tycoon Boris Berezovsky was found dead with `ligature around neck`
London: Russian oligarch Boris Berezovsky was found with a "ligature around his neck" and a piece of similar material on a shower rail in his British home, an inquest into his death heard on Thursday.
The 67-year-old Kremlin critic, who survived numerous assassination attempts, including a bomb that decapitated his chauffeur, was found dead on Saturday in his sprawling property in Ascot, an affluent town a few kilometres from Queen Elizabeth`s Windsor Castle.
A post-mortem examination by a Home Office pathologist had found his death was "consistent with hanging" and there was no sign of "violent struggle".
At the opening of the inquest, Detective Inspector Mark Bissell of Thames Valley Police confirmed Berezovsky was found with a "ligature around his neck and a piece of similar material on the shower rail above him".
The inquest was opened and adjourned by Berkshire coroner Peter Bedford at the Guildhall in Windsor today.
The Windsor Coroner`s Court office also confirmed that Berezovsky`s daughter, Elizaveta Berezovskaya, had formally identified the body of her father, who was referred to during Thursday`s proceedings as Platon Elemin as the self-exiled tycoon had changed his name by deed poll in 2003.
Bissell confirmed that the scene of the death is currently under police control and the results of any tests carried out will take several weeks, adding that the involvement of a third party "cannot be completely eliminated as tests remain outstanding".
Berezovsky could have been dead for up to 18 hours before he was found by his bodyguard.
"He was last seen alive at approximately 9.05pm on the evening of 22 March by the same employee (who discovered him on Saturday afternoon)," Bissell added.
The coroner said that once he had appropriate information from Berezovsky`s family he will sign a certificate allowing for a funeral to take place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now