Russian, Ukrainian foreign ministers in Vienna for meeting
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his Ukrainian counterpart Andriy Deshchytsia arrived in Vienna on Monday, officials said, ahead of a Council of Europe meeting expected to be dominated by the Ukraine crisis.
Lavrov and Deshchytsia are "due to attend a working dinner later, but this is not a bilateral meeting, there will be other foreign ministers there," Austrian foreign ministry spokesman Gerald Fleischmann said.
The last time Lavrov and Deshchytsia, whose Western-backed Kiev government Moscow refuses to recognise, are thought to have met officially was when a deal aimed at resolving the crisis was struck in Geneva on April 17.
This deal has since unravelled but German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said Sunday he was in talks with Russia, the United States and the European Union about a second peace conference in the Swiss city.
Around 30 foreign ministers from the 47-state Council of Europe were expected to attend Tuesday`s gathering including Britain`s William Hague. Steinmeier and French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius will however not be present.
The Council of Europe meeting is due to discuss the status of democracy and human rights and cooperation within the European Union before a working lunch on the situation on Ukraine, according to the rights body.
"There has to be a de-escalation not only in the rhetoric but also on the ground. The Council of Europe can contribute to finding a solution," Council of Europe spokesman Daniel Hoeltgen said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan