Russian, Uzbek presidents confirm their countries` partnership
Moscow: Russian and Uzbek presidents
on Tuesday confirmed strategic cooperation between the two
countries and discussed the situation in Kyrgyzstan.
Dmitry Medvedev and Islam Karimov met at the Kremlin
today where the Russian head of state said : "Uzbekistan is a
strategic partner for Russia. We have (been) developing and
will develop all possible relations with the friendly state
and would like to consolidate these ties, especially in the
context of processes in the world and in our region".
"These are difficult processes," Medvedev said, adding
"If we are to speak of the economic situation, the financial
crisis influenced our relations. Regrettably, even trade
declined, though it slid down not sharply, and we have all
chances to restore it."
"Apart from the crisis, there is a set of difficulties,
and threats, typical for our region: this is the situation
around Afghanistan, necessitating a separate solution. This is
also a range of inside problems".
"Regrettably, these issues were supplemented by the
situation in Kyrgyzstan. I believe that this is a separate
topic for discussion: we spoke with you of this on Monday,"
"It`s self-evident that Russia and Uzbekistan are
interested in the Kyrgyz power to be strong and in Kyrgyz
people to be developing and prospering so that the state
should be a modern representation of their future for Kyrgyz
people. This topic is very important in the context of
what was taking place in the recent past," the Russian
Talking about his Moscow visit, President of Uzbekistan
Islam Karimov said: The visit "is a good chance to assess
critically the shaping-up relations between our countries and
to involve all untapped spheres of our cooperation, which
remain, regrettably, untapped to a great extent."
"It is necessary to discuss security questions and
stability in our disquieting Central Asian region,
specifically Central Asia, and events that are taking place
today and happened in Kyrgyzstan on Monday," Karimov said.
The Uzbek chief executive also said: "We should discuss
separately the need for filling up with content important
treaties, signed between Russia and Uzbekistan, including the
agreement on strategic partnership. We attach much importance
to the fact that these documents have become a linking
"Uzbekistan sees in Russia a reliable and tested partner
who has repeatedly proved that Russia is the decisive link of
pace and stability both in the Central Asian region and in the
world as a whole," the Uzbek president said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’