Russians plan hockey match on aircraft carrier
Moscow: A hockey league in Russia plans to hold a regular season match on a working Russian Navy aircraft carrier, a spokesman said.
The plan is at an early stage, but if the VHL match goes ahead it would be the first time that a professional hockey match has been held on a carrier.
US President Barack Obama attended a college basketball game on the flight deck of the USS Carl Vinson in 2011.
Holding the match would be a PR exercise for the little-known league, spokesman Vitaly Panov said.
"Everyone`s going to know that the VHL exists. Obviously, it`ll be PR above all because no one in the world has done this before, and obviously there will be a lot of interest in this," he said.
"The main thing is the atmosphere and the event," he said.
The VHL hopes the Navy will agree to hold the match on the Admiral Kuznetsov carrier, which is based in the northern port of Murmansk and can carry up to 50 aircraft.
One of the teams to take part will be St Petersburg`s Navy club.
The importance and symbolism of the match were more important than the result, Panov said.
The plans are still in the early stages, Panov said, and the VHL is yet to hold talks with the Navy brass.
He denied that the idea had been inspired by the US basketball match, saying: "That`s the first time I`ve heard of it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hyderabad police mulls 'designated driver' concept to check drunken driving
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray favours 'Sharia-type' law to tackle rape
- Parsi population dips by 18 per cent between 2001-2011
- Sebastian Vettel supports world champions Lewis Hamilton over yellow-flag row with Nico Rosberg
- Viral video: Indian girl pranks mother by saying she's lesbian, see what happens next – Must Watch