Russians to stage march against US adoption ban
Moscow: Opponents of a law banning US nationals from adopting Russian children were granted permission here Wednesday to hold a protest march in central Moscow Jan 13, officials and rally organisers said.
The ban is part of a wider response by Moscow to the Magnitsky Act, a US law that imposes travel bans and other sanctions on Russian officials suspected of human rights abuses.
The law was signed into force by US President Barack Obama late last year.
Moscow City Hall gave permission for a march with the participation of up to 20,000 people, Moscow security chief Alexei Mayorov said.
Key opposition figures are, however, expected to attend the rally, which will also call for the dissolution of parliament over the ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley