Russians to stage march against US adoption ban
Moscow: Opponents of a law banning US nationals from adopting Russian children were granted permission here Wednesday to hold a protest march in central Moscow Jan 13, officials and rally organisers said.
The ban is part of a wider response by Moscow to the Magnitsky Act, a US law that imposes travel bans and other sanctions on Russian officials suspected of human rights abuses.
The law was signed into force by US President Barack Obama late last year.
Moscow City Hall gave permission for a march with the participation of up to 20,000 people, Moscow security chief Alexei Mayorov said.
Key opposition figures are, however, expected to attend the rally, which will also call for the dissolution of parliament over the ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Parliament over Kashmir violence – Part II
- I am a Goddess for the weaker section which is making people angry: Mayawati
- Sacked BJP leader Dayashankar to be arrested soon for controversial remark on Mayawati
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?