Russians to stage march against US adoption ban
Moscow: Opponents of a law banning US nationals from adopting Russian children were granted permission here Wednesday to hold a protest march in central Moscow Jan 13, officials and rally organisers said.
The ban is part of a wider response by Moscow to the Magnitsky Act, a US law that imposes travel bans and other sanctions on Russian officials suspected of human rights abuses.
The law was signed into force by US President Barack Obama late last year.
Moscow City Hall gave permission for a march with the participation of up to 20,000 people, Moscow security chief Alexei Mayorov said.
Key opposition figures are, however, expected to attend the rally, which will also call for the dissolution of parliament over the ban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest