Russia`s Chelyabinsk recovers from meteor crash
Moscow: Emergency services have repaired most of the damage caused by a meteor that shook Russia`s Chelyabinsk region.
A flaming meteorite streaked across the sky and slammed into the region in central Russia on February 15 with a massive boom that blew out windows and damaged thousands of buildings, injuring more than 1,000 people in the area.
Since restoration work began, windows have been mended in over 5,700 buildings, including more than 4,700 residential buildings, 187 health care organisations, 609 educational establishments, 19 social and 79 cultural facilities.
Over 24,000 workers and 4,300 pieces of equipment are involved in the effort to clear up the damage, which is estimated at one billion roubles (USD 33 million).
NASA said the meteorite released about 500 kilotonnes of energy when it exploded in the atmosphere, though the Russian Academy of Sciences gave a preliminary estimate of between 100 and 200 kilotonnes.
Meanwhile, some entrepreneurial minds have found a way of capitalising on the celestial body.
In addition to numerous meteorite fragments of questionable provenance put up on sale by various dealers, a company reportedly headed by the leader of Chelyabinsk Lutheran community has applied to register several meteorite-related brands for a range of foodstuff, Russia`s patent agency said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'