Russia`s chief investigator dismisses fraud charge
Moscow: Alexander Bastrykin, head of Russia`s powerful Investigation Committee, has denied allegations of fraud levelled against him by an opposition leader.
Alexei Navalny accused Bastrykin in a blog post of fraud and being a "foreign agent".
Navalny alleged that Bastrykin had concealed real estate and business interests in the Czech Republic and held EU residency while enjoying access to state secrets.
Bastrykin denied the allegations and said he would resign if "even one euro" in profits was discovered.
The term "foreign agent" was a reference to a controversial draft law that would force non-governmental organisations that receive money from abroad and are engaged in politics to use the term on all their publications and websites.
Bastrykin said he did have an apartment in Prague but that he bought it a long time ago, before he was a government official.
He also denied he has a Czech residence permit.
"I only have a (multiple) visa. I would like to stress that," he said.
Czech consul to Russia David Novy confirmed to the Vedomosti business daily that Bastrykin holds a temporary residence permit.
The Czech Interior Ministry, on its part, stated that Bastrykin was granted a long-term residence permit in 2007-2009 to manage Law Bohemia, the company he had established and registered in his own name.
In 2007, Bastrykin was appointed head of the Russian Investigative Committee.
Under Russian law, state and government officials may not engage in any commercial activity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues