Russia’s foreign policy priority: Ties with BRIC nations
Moscow: Development of "multi-faceted" ties with the BRIC group of nations, including India and China, will be Russia`s foreign policy priorities, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Friday.
"Development of multi-faceted cooperation with China and our other partners in BRIC will remain Russia`s foreign policy priority," Lavrov said, summing up last year`s Russian diplomatic activities at his annual press conference here.
Deepening strategic partnership with the European Union and strengthening privileged partnership with the former Soviet republics clubbed in the CIS under Russia`s rotating presidency this year were also named among the priorities of Moscow`s foreign policy.
He said Moscow`s assessment of global policy trends last year proved to be mostly accurate, with the world becoming more multi-polar over 2009.
"Not everything was smooth, but the Foreign Ministry did its job on the international arena well," Lavrov underlined.
According to him this year`s plan prepared by his ministry, will continue to pursue the goal set by President Medvedev, namely to support modernisation of the country.
This includes conflict resolution, crisis management, better protection of Russian business interests abroad, and humanitarian efforts.
"We are in the same boat," Lavrov said noting that international events of 2009 led to a positive outcome and helped to form an uniting agenda for the world community, which includes non-proliferation of WMD, fighting global terrorism, drug trafficking and piracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know