Russia`s fourth T-50 stealth fighter flies
Moscow: Russia`s fourth prototype Sukhoi T-50 stealth fighter jet took to the skies for the first time Wednesday in a 40-minute flight at the Komsomolsk-on-Amur factory in Siberia, Sukhoi said.
"The fourth prototype PAK-FA made its first flight today from the Gagarin factory in Komsomolsk-on-Amur," Sukhoi said, referring to the aircraft by its project name, an acronym for future fifth-generation tactical fighter.
"The flight tested the aircraft`s overall integrity and its main engines. The aircraft is making a good impression in all phases of the flying programme," Sukhoi said.
The T-50, which will be the core of Russia`s future fighter fleet, is a fifth-generation multi-role fighter aircraft featuring low-observable technology (stealth), super-manoeuverability, supercruise capability (supersonic flight without use of afterburner), and an advanced avionics suite including an X-band active phased-array radar.
The first prototype first flew Jan 29, 2010.
The Russian defence ministry plans to purchase a first batch of 10 evaluation aircraft and then 60 production-standard aircraft after 2015.
Meanwhile, the Novosibirsk aircraft factory (NAPO) plans to deliver 10 more Sukhoi Su-34 strike aircraft to the Russian Air Force in the near future, the Air Force`s Col. Andrei Bobrun said.
"The Novosibirsk factory will send another 10 aircraft to the Voronezh air base in the near future," he said. The air force set up its first Su-34 squadron at the end of 2011.
A two-seat strike-dedicated derivative of the Su-27 fighter, the Su-34 can carry a payload of up to eight tonnes of guided weapons over 4,000 km.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...