Russia`s Medvedev in Vietnam, nuclear deal in the offing
Hanoi: President Dmitry Medvedev arrived
in Vietnam on Saturday, for a visit that will see Russia sign a
multi-billion-euro nuclear power plant deal, with the former
Soviet-era Communist ally.
Medvedev said he was expecting "serious results" from
the trip, which is aimed at establishing wider energy ties.
Referring to close links between the Soviet Union and
Vietnam in the 1980s, Medvedev said he hoped their shared
history would provide a firm foundation for a tight,
modern-day economic and political partnership.
"We were together with the heroic Vietnamese people,
during the years of its fight for independence and
reunification, during the complicated period of reviving its
national economy," he wrote in an article for the Vietnamese
newspaper Nhan Dan, the text of which was released by the
The president is scheduled to meet top Vietnamese
officials on Sunday and agree on the construction of Vietnam`s
first nuclear power plant.
An official with Russian state nuclear conglomerate
Rosatom said, the construction of the two-unit plant is
estimated at over 4.0 billion euros.
Russia is locked in a global race with competitors
like the United States, Japan and France to clinch lucrative
worldwide contracts as demand for nuclear energy increases.
Apart from the nuclear power plant, Russia and Vietnam
are scheduled to sign a raft of agreements, on cooperation in
hydro-electric energy, customs and other areas.
Ties with Vietnam date back to the Soviet era when the
communist Soviet Union became the country`s main benefactor,
after the Vietnam War ended in 1975.
Following the Soviet collapse in 1991 Vietnam was left
without the Soviet Union`s ideological, economic and military
support and ties have long remained only a shadow of Cold War
Before the start of the state visit, Medvedev will
participate today, in a summit with the 10-member Association
of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in Hanoi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?