Russia`s N-powered submarine to enter service by June
Moscow: Russia`s newest nuclear-powered submarine -- the Yury Dolgoruky -- will be put into operation in the second quarter of the year, the shipbuilding group said.
The Borey-class Project 955 submarine will be armed with the Bulava intercontinental ballistic missiles. But a representative from the United Shipbuilding Corporation said it was yet to be decided when the missile will enter service.
The submarine`s construction began in 1996 at the Sevmash shipyard and was completed in 2008. It has a crew of 130 and will be armed with 16 Bulava missiles and six SS-N-15 cruise missiles.
President Dmitry Medvedev said in December that the flight tests of the Bulava missiles were completed and it will now be adopted for service with the Russian Navy.
Russia successfully test launched two Bulava missiles on December 23. They were the 18th and 19th test launches of the troubled Bulava. Only 11 launches have been officially declared successful.
But some analysts suggest that in reality the number of failures is considerably larger.
Russian military expert Pavel Felgenhauer said that of the Bulava`s first 12 test launches, only one was entirely successful.
Despite several previous failures, officially blamed on manufacturing faults, the Russian military has insisted that there is no alternative to the Bulava.
The Bulava (SS-NX-30), developed by the Moscow Institute of Thermal Technology, carries up to 10 MIRV warheads and has a range of over 8,000 km. The three-stage ballistic missile is designed for deployment on Borey-class nuclear submarines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand