Russia`s N-powered submarine to enter service by June
Moscow: Russia`s newest nuclear-powered submarine -- the Yury Dolgoruky -- will be put into operation in the second quarter of the year, the shipbuilding group said.
The Borey-class Project 955 submarine will be armed with the Bulava intercontinental ballistic missiles. But a representative from the United Shipbuilding Corporation said it was yet to be decided when the missile will enter service.
The submarine`s construction began in 1996 at the Sevmash shipyard and was completed in 2008. It has a crew of 130 and will be armed with 16 Bulava missiles and six SS-N-15 cruise missiles.
President Dmitry Medvedev said in December that the flight tests of the Bulava missiles were completed and it will now be adopted for service with the Russian Navy.
Russia successfully test launched two Bulava missiles on December 23. They were the 18th and 19th test launches of the troubled Bulava. Only 11 launches have been officially declared successful.
But some analysts suggest that in reality the number of failures is considerably larger.
Russian military expert Pavel Felgenhauer said that of the Bulava`s first 12 test launches, only one was entirely successful.
Despite several previous failures, officially blamed on manufacturing faults, the Russian military has insisted that there is no alternative to the Bulava.
The Bulava (SS-NX-30), developed by the Moscow Institute of Thermal Technology, carries up to 10 MIRV warheads and has a range of over 8,000 km. The three-stage ballistic missile is designed for deployment on Borey-class nuclear submarines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!