Russia`s N-powered submarine to enter service by June
Moscow: Russia`s newest nuclear-powered submarine -- the Yury Dolgoruky -- will be put into operation in the second quarter of the year, the shipbuilding group said.
The Borey-class Project 955 submarine will be armed with the Bulava intercontinental ballistic missiles. But a representative from the United Shipbuilding Corporation said it was yet to be decided when the missile will enter service.
The submarine`s construction began in 1996 at the Sevmash shipyard and was completed in 2008. It has a crew of 130 and will be armed with 16 Bulava missiles and six SS-N-15 cruise missiles.
President Dmitry Medvedev said in December that the flight tests of the Bulava missiles were completed and it will now be adopted for service with the Russian Navy.
Russia successfully test launched two Bulava missiles on December 23. They were the 18th and 19th test launches of the troubled Bulava. Only 11 launches have been officially declared successful.
But some analysts suggest that in reality the number of failures is considerably larger.
Russian military expert Pavel Felgenhauer said that of the Bulava`s first 12 test launches, only one was entirely successful.
Despite several previous failures, officially blamed on manufacturing faults, the Russian military has insisted that there is no alternative to the Bulava.
The Bulava (SS-NX-30), developed by the Moscow Institute of Thermal Technology, carries up to 10 MIRV warheads and has a range of over 8,000 km. The three-stage ballistic missile is designed for deployment on Borey-class nuclear submarines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi