Russia`s new attack sub fires first cruise missile
Moscow: Russia`s newest attack submarine, the Project 855 Severodvinsk, has successfully fired its first cruise missile at a land target during the manufacturer`s sea trials in the White Sea.
The Severodvinsk is one of eight Yasen-class boats being built for the Russian Navy.
"The multi-role nuclear-powered submarine Severodvinsk fired a supersonic cruise missile at a land target for the first time during sea trials in the White Sea. The target was successfully destroyed," said a source in the United Shipbuilding Corporation.
"This is of course a big achievement for the shipyard and United Shipbuilding as a whole. Manufacturers` trials are drawing to a close and the boat will soon start state acceptance trials," he said.
The Severodvinsk has a submerged displacement of 13,800 tonnes, length of 119 metres, speed of 31 knots, and can dive to 600 metres. It has a crew of 90 including 32 officers.
Its main armament consists of 3M55 Oniks (SS-N-26) and 3M54 (SS-N-27) Kalibr cruise missiles and conventional torpedos, rocket-torpedos and mines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users