Russia’s Putin compares opposition to weak birds
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin on Sunday compared the country`s political opposition to omega animals, but said they were still "part of our species".
Putin flew with the Siberian Cranes ahead of this week`s APEC summit in Vladivostok city, boarding a motorised hang-glider dressed in a white costume and a beak-like mask to imitate a flock leader.
The flight was part of a programme to reintroduce the endangered birds to nature, teaching the human-bred creatures the correct migration routes.
The flight, however, turned into an unflattering Internet meme, with Russian bloggers cranking out a flurry of sarcastic comments and photoshopped pictures of Putin and the birds.
Opposition figure Ksenia Sobchak pointed out that only 63 percent of the cranes followed Putin about the same percentage as the number of people who voted for him in the Presidential Elections in March.
"Indeed, not all the cranes flew [after me]. Only the weak cranes stayed, and only on the first try," Putin quipped when asked about the comparison at a press conference at the APEC summit.
The phrase can be taken as a reference to the March Presidential vote, which Putin won amid mass protests and vote rigging accusations. He mostly avoided dialogue with the disorganised protesters and tightened political legislation after the elections.
"Some birdies don`t fly in flocks at all...but even if they`re not flocks members, they belong to our species, and need careful treatment when possible," Putin added, to general applause.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh