Russia`s ruling party denies USAID funding
Moscow: Russia`s ruling party lashed out Friday at allegations by Washington that it had taken advantage "over the years" of programmes run by the USAID mission closed down by Moscow earlier this week.
"United Russia has always carefully adhered to the requirements of Russian law on the financing of political parties," leading party official Alexei Chesnakov said. "This statement appears to be an unfounded and emotional reaction."
Russia said Tuesday that USAID, which funds pro-democracy and human rights groups that have irked the Kremlin, would have to close its offices in the country by Oct 1.
President Vladimir Putin, who headed United Russia until late last year, said Thursday that the mission had been meddling in the country`s internal affairs.
But US State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told journalists in Washington Thursday that "United Russia has participated in some of the International Republican Institute and National Democratic Institute`s programs over the years".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- US backs Amnesty over India sedition case, says it respects group's right to express freely
- ''No Indian hand in Nepal government change''
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic
- Court hears horror of Khmer Rouge forced marriages
- PE inflows in real estate up 33% at Rs 5,193 crore in January-June