Russia`s ruling party denies USAID funding
Moscow: Russia`s ruling party lashed out Friday at allegations by Washington that it had taken advantage "over the years" of programmes run by the USAID mission closed down by Moscow earlier this week.
"United Russia has always carefully adhered to the requirements of Russian law on the financing of political parties," leading party official Alexei Chesnakov said. "This statement appears to be an unfounded and emotional reaction."
Russia said Tuesday that USAID, which funds pro-democracy and human rights groups that have irked the Kremlin, would have to close its offices in the country by Oct 1.
President Vladimir Putin, who headed United Russia until late last year, said Thursday that the mission had been meddling in the country`s internal affairs.
But US State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told journalists in Washington Thursday that "United Russia has participated in some of the International Republican Institute and National Democratic Institute`s programs over the years".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli