Rwanda ex-army chief jailed for 30 years over genocide
Arusha (Tanzania): The UN court for Rwanda
handed a 30-year prison sentence on Tuesday to former army chief Augustin Bizimungu for his role in the 1994 genocide in which
around 800,000 people were killed.
The court also convicted Augustin Ndindiliyimana, the
former head of the paramilitary police, of genocide crimes but
ordered his release as he had already spent 11 years behind
bars since his arrest.
The court ruled that while Bizimungu had complete control
over the men he commanded, Ndindiliyimana had only "limited
control" over his men after the start of the massacres on
April 6, 1994 and was opposed to the killing.
Two senior officers tried alongside the generals were
also sentenced Tuesday.
Major Francois-Xavier Nzuwonemeye, the former commander
of the reconnaissance battalion, was handed 20 years in jail
for killing as a crime against humanity and murder as a war
His subordinate, captain Innocent Sagahutu, was also
sentenced to 20 years.
Bizimungu and Ndindiliyimana are two of the most senior
figures to be tried by the Tanzania-based International
Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) in connection with the
Ndindiliyimana was arrested in January 2000 in Belgium
and Nzuwonemeye the following month in France. Sagahutu was
detained in Denmark and Bizimungu in 2002 in Angola.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?