Rwanda ex-army chief jailed for 30 years over genocide
Arusha (Tanzania): The UN court for Rwanda
handed a 30-year prison sentence on Tuesday to former army chief Augustin Bizimungu for his role in the 1994 genocide in which
around 800,000 people were killed.
The court also convicted Augustin Ndindiliyimana, the
former head of the paramilitary police, of genocide crimes but
ordered his release as he had already spent 11 years behind
bars since his arrest.
The court ruled that while Bizimungu had complete control
over the men he commanded, Ndindiliyimana had only "limited
control" over his men after the start of the massacres on
April 6, 1994 and was opposed to the killing.
Two senior officers tried alongside the generals were
also sentenced Tuesday.
Major Francois-Xavier Nzuwonemeye, the former commander
of the reconnaissance battalion, was handed 20 years in jail
for killing as a crime against humanity and murder as a war
His subordinate, captain Innocent Sagahutu, was also
sentenced to 20 years.
Bizimungu and Ndindiliyimana are two of the most senior
figures to be tried by the Tanzania-based International
Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) in connection with the
Ndindiliyimana was arrested in January 2000 in Belgium
and Nzuwonemeye the following month in France. Sagahutu was
detained in Denmark and Bizimungu in 2002 in Angola.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place