Rwanda genocide suspect arrested: Congo officials
Kinshasa: A Congolese official said that the suspected leader of an extremist Hutu militia has been arrested in eastern Congo after years on the run.
Bernard Munyagishari was wanted on charges of genocide and other crimes.
North Kivu governor Julien Paluku said Friday that Munyagishari was arrested and taken to Kinshasa, Congo`s capital. The prosecutor of the Tanzania-based United Nations court for Rwanda`s 1994 genocide says he will be brought for trial.
Munyagishari is alleged to have led the Interahamwe militia that committed mass rapes and killings of Tutsis in western Rwanda.
Justice Hassan Bubacar Jallow says Munyagishari`s arrest leaves nine fugitives still at large.
At least 500,000 ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus were killed during Rwanda`s genocide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch