Rwanda genocide suspect arrested: Congo officials
Kinshasa: A Congolese official said that the suspected leader of an extremist Hutu militia has been arrested in eastern Congo after years on the run.
Bernard Munyagishari was wanted on charges of genocide and other crimes.
North Kivu governor Julien Paluku said Friday that Munyagishari was arrested and taken to Kinshasa, Congo`s capital. The prosecutor of the Tanzania-based United Nations court for Rwanda`s 1994 genocide says he will be brought for trial.
Munyagishari is alleged to have led the Interahamwe militia that committed mass rapes and killings of Tutsis in western Rwanda.
Justice Hassan Bubacar Jallow says Munyagishari`s arrest leaves nine fugitives still at large.
At least 500,000 ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus were killed during Rwanda`s genocide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid