Rwandan genocide suspect arrested on Mayotte: Legal source
Paris: A Rwandan accused of taking part in the 1994 genocide in his country was on Thursday arrested in the French Indian Ocean territory of Mayotte, legal sources said.
Octavien Ngenzi, a former mayor of the town of Kabarondo who is suspected of having taken part in the massacre of hundreds of ethnic Tutsis, is the subject of an international arrest warrant issued by Rwanda last year.
He was being held in Mamoudzou, the capital of the French overseas territory, legal sources in Paris said. The charges against him include crimes against humanity and genocide.
Rwandan authorities suspect him of having ordered and led several massacres in Kibungo province, including one carried out on April 13, 1994 by Hutu militiamen in a church in Kabarondo that left a thousand Tutsis dead.
Another Rwandan facing genocide charges, Pascal Simbikangwa, was arrested on Mayotte in 2008 and is currently being held in Paris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city