Rwandan police asked to release US attorney
Nairobi, Kenya: An international lawyers` group is demanding the release of an American lawyer charged with genocide denial in Rwanda.
The International Criminal Defense Attorneys Association on Saturday urged lawyers and organizations to demand Peter Erlinder`s release. Erlinder is in Rwanda to defend presidential hopeful Victoire Ingabire against charges that include promoting genocidal ideology. He was arrested Friday.
ICDAA board member Alison Turner said in Kenya that the charges are political and lack legal foundation.
The U.S. National Lawyers Guild said Rwanda`s government was trying to hamstring Ingabire`s legal defense by arresting Erlinder. He heads an association of defense lawyers at the U.N. tribunal that is trying the masterminds of the 1994 genocide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?
- Storms, lightning and heavy rains in Uttar Pradesh; at least 12 dead
- Shah Rukh Khan's 'Kal Ho Naa Ho' memories strike back!