S Africa: Fire kills 12 at mentally disabled home
Johannesburg: An overnight fire killed 12 residents of a mentally disabled home in a town east of Johannesburg, media reported on Monday.
Another 27 were injured in the fire at the Struitsbuild Care Centre in the town of Springs, municipal emergency spokesman Rogers Mamaila said.
Three dozen firefighters rushed to the scene after midnight, Mamaila told Radio 702, adding that forensic experts were investigating the cause of the blaze.
Meanwhile, about 27 residents were taken to area hospitals, he said.
"We managed to take them out and now we are busy taking them to hospital but most of them for minor injuries, burn injuries and smoke inhalation," Mamaila said.
Last August, 22 elderly people died at a retirement home in Nigel on the southeastern outskirts of Johannesburg.
In February, a deadly fire killed 13 children and two adults at an orphanage in KwaZulu Natal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon