S Africa: Fire kills 12 at mentally disabled home
Johannesburg: An overnight fire killed 12 residents of a mentally disabled home in a town east of Johannesburg, media reported on Monday.
Another 27 were injured in the fire at the Struitsbuild Care Centre in the town of Springs, municipal emergency spokesman Rogers Mamaila said.
Three dozen firefighters rushed to the scene after midnight, Mamaila told Radio 702, adding that forensic experts were investigating the cause of the blaze.
Meanwhile, about 27 residents were taken to area hospitals, he said.
"We managed to take them out and now we are busy taking them to hospital but most of them for minor injuries, burn injuries and smoke inhalation," Mamaila said.
Last August, 22 elderly people died at a retirement home in Nigel on the southeastern outskirts of Johannesburg.
In February, a deadly fire killed 13 children and two adults at an orphanage in KwaZulu Natal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'