S Africa: Fire kills 12 at mentally disabled home
Johannesburg: An overnight fire killed 12 residents of a mentally disabled home in a town east of Johannesburg, media reported on Monday.
Another 27 were injured in the fire at the Struitsbuild Care Centre in the town of Springs, municipal emergency spokesman Rogers Mamaila said.
Three dozen firefighters rushed to the scene after midnight, Mamaila told Radio 702, adding that forensic experts were investigating the cause of the blaze.
Meanwhile, about 27 residents were taken to area hospitals, he said.
"We managed to take them out and now we are busy taking them to hospital but most of them for minor injuries, burn injuries and smoke inhalation," Mamaila said.
Last August, 22 elderly people died at a retirement home in Nigel on the southeastern outskirts of Johannesburg.
In February, a deadly fire killed 13 children and two adults at an orphanage in KwaZulu Natal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?
- Govt blocks over 800 porn websites – complete list