S Africa`s ex-Interpol chief convicted of corruption
Johannesburg: South Africa`s former police chief and ex-president of Interpol Jackie Selebi was convicted Friday of corruption for accepting bribes from a convicted drug dealer.
"Having due regard to the poor quality of the accused`s evidence, the accused`s denial of receipt of the payment is not reasonably possibly true," Judge Meyer Joffe said in a verdict.
"The accused is found guilty of corruption," he said, adding that Selebi was found not guilty on separate counts of defeating the ends of justice.
Selebi was accused of taking bribes totalling more than 1.2 million rand (166,000 dollars, 122,000 euros) between 2000 and 2005, including payments and gifts from Glenn Agliotti, a convicted drug dealer.
The trial produced startling evidence that Agliotti indulged Selebi`s fondness for designer clothing, which the police chief rewarded by feeding Agliotti police information.
"He enjoyed shopping, and so did I," Agliotti said during the trial which began in October.
"When I traveled to London, I bought him shoes at Harrods. I also bought him a pair of Louis Vuitton shoes in Hong Kong."
The judge was scathing in his ruling against the former head of the South African Police Service (SAPS).
"There is a stigma in society about labelling a witness a liar... But that is what the accused did," Joffe said. "It is a finding that as head of the SAPS... he had a low moral fibre and cannot be relied upon."
Sentencing was set for July 14, and in the mean time Selebi will remain free on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31