S Africa`s ex-Interpol chief convicted of corruption
Johannesburg: South Africa`s former police chief and ex-president of Interpol Jackie Selebi was convicted Friday of corruption for accepting bribes from a convicted drug dealer.
"Having due regard to the poor quality of the accused`s evidence, the accused`s denial of receipt of the payment is not reasonably possibly true," Judge Meyer Joffe said in a verdict.
"The accused is found guilty of corruption," he said, adding that Selebi was found not guilty on separate counts of defeating the ends of justice.
Selebi was accused of taking bribes totalling more than 1.2 million rand (166,000 dollars, 122,000 euros) between 2000 and 2005, including payments and gifts from Glenn Agliotti, a convicted drug dealer.
The trial produced startling evidence that Agliotti indulged Selebi`s fondness for designer clothing, which the police chief rewarded by feeding Agliotti police information.
"He enjoyed shopping, and so did I," Agliotti said during the trial which began in October.
"When I traveled to London, I bought him shoes at Harrods. I also bought him a pair of Louis Vuitton shoes in Hong Kong."
The judge was scathing in his ruling against the former head of the South African Police Service (SAPS).
"There is a stigma in society about labelling a witness a liar... But that is what the accused did," Joffe said. "It is a finding that as head of the SAPS... he had a low moral fibre and cannot be relied upon."
Sentencing was set for July 14, and in the mean time Selebi will remain free on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP