S Africa`s former election head receives Gandhi Peace Award
Johannesburg: Former chairperson of South Africa`s election body Brigalia Bam has received the prestigious Mahatma Gandhi International Award for Peace and Reconciliation for her commitment to democracy.
Bam received the 2013 award at a ceremony at the Durban City Hall last night for ensuring free and fair elections since the advent of democracy in 1994 when anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela was elected the country`s first democratic president.
The annual awards, administered by a foundation headed by Ela Gandhi, granddaughter of the Mahatma Gandhi, are given to world leaders for their role in promoting peace.
The award was created in 2003 to commemorate the centenary of Indian Opinion, a newspaper started by Mahatma Gandhi in South Africa. He began his socio-political life in the country and struggled for justice and peace and reconciliation.
"The award indicates the courage, commitment and selflessness of the recipients as distinguished peacemakers," Ela Gandhi said.
After receiving the award, Bam spoke out against political intolerance. "Political violence as a means of contesting elections, or preventing one`s opponents from contesting in one`s presumed stronghold should be condemned."
Several Satyagraha Awards were also given, including one to Trevor Manuel, former South African Finance Minister and founding member of the United Democratic Front that mobilised citizens to oppose apartheid 30 years ago.
"Politics should not get in the way of our service delivery. We must be committed to serving every South African every single day," Manuel said.
Among six posthumous Satyagraha awardees was Valliamma Munniar, who marched beside Gandhi during his opposition to racist laws in South Africa and was jailed with him.
She contracted a serious illness while in prison and died aged just 16.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah