S Asians pledge to ensure fundamental ideals of US
Washington: South Asians in the US have pledged to work to ensure that America remains true to its fundamental ideals of fairness and inclusion.
"Like all Americans, South Asians in the United States were deeply affected by the events on and after September 11th," said the National Coalition of South Asian Organisations (NCSO) in a statement yesterday as the community actively participated in the commemorative events to mark the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks.
NCSO, which is a network of community-based organisations, said, "A decade later, many South Asians who call America home continue to be affected by unfair policies, xenophobic rhetoric, and discrimination."
"Now more than ever, members of the NCSO seek to ensure that our country remains true to its fundamental ideals of fairness and inclusion. Today, as we pause to remember September 11th, we also renew our pledge to work towards public policies and community-based efforts that will reaffirm our country`s commitment to human rights, justice, and equality for all," NCSO said.
Meanwhile, Sikh Coalition in a statement said, "On this day, which affected all, we especially remember our obligation to stand together as one."
Like all Americans, Sikhs lost friends and colleagues on that tragic day. Sikhs were also amongst the first responders to the attacks, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!