S Korea conducts exercise in Yellow Sea
Seoul: South Korea`s navy launched a maneuvering exercise Tuesday in the Yellow Sea to prepare against possible North Korean maritime infiltration.
"The exercise was held under many different situations that could arise at sea," an unidentified navy official was quoted as saying by Yonhap News Agency.
"It was also aimed at developing interoperability among
units from all branches of the service."
The one-day exercise took place in waters near Pyeongtaek
Port, some 70 kilometers south of Seoul. It involved destroyer
Sejong the Great, the South`s first Aegis destroyer equipped
with an integrated weapons control system, plus about 20 other
destroyers, frigates, patrollers and high-speed boats, Yonhap
Under the scenario of a North Korean submarine crossing
the tense de facto sea border, the navy also deployed the Lynx
anti-ship helicopter and P-3C anti-submarine surveillance
aircraft. An air force tactical aircraft and an army helicopter also joined the exercise, the official said.
South Korea has accused North Korea of sinking a South
Korean warship with a torpedo attack near the disputed western
sea border in March last year. North Korea has strongly denied
its involvement in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- If Priyanka Gandhi takes charge of Congress then BJP will face tough challenge: Ramdev
- 'Jai Hind' – this is how Air India will wish passengers now!
- Government vows to crack down on super-rich tax evaders
- Watch: Dwayne DJ Bravo gives rib-tickling sneak-peek into upcoming episode of 'The Kapil Sharma Show'!
- Sting row: Harish Rawat asked to appear before CBI on May 24