S Korea conducts exercise in Yellow Sea
Seoul: South Korea`s navy launched a maneuvering exercise Tuesday in the Yellow Sea to prepare against possible North Korean maritime infiltration.
"The exercise was held under many different situations that could arise at sea," an unidentified navy official was quoted as saying by Yonhap News Agency.
"It was also aimed at developing interoperability among
units from all branches of the service."
The one-day exercise took place in waters near Pyeongtaek
Port, some 70 kilometers south of Seoul. It involved destroyer
Sejong the Great, the South`s first Aegis destroyer equipped
with an integrated weapons control system, plus about 20 other
destroyers, frigates, patrollers and high-speed boats, Yonhap
Under the scenario of a North Korean submarine crossing
the tense de facto sea border, the navy also deployed the Lynx
anti-ship helicopter and P-3C anti-submarine surveillance
aircraft. An air force tactical aircraft and an army helicopter also joined the exercise, the official said.
South Korea has accused North Korea of sinking a South
Korean warship with a torpedo attack near the disputed western
sea border in March last year. North Korea has strongly denied
its involvement in the incident.
- Indian man hacks Dawood Ibrahim's call details, plans to give many secret details to PM Modi
- Drop everything, Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' teaser is here!
- IN PICS: Kanhaiya Kumar's supporters brutally thrash this man in Patna - Know why
- Good news! India win one silver, two bronze in Archery World Cup
- Yuvraj Singh drops big hint about film on his life – Here's what the star batsman said...