S Korea conducts exercise in Yellow Sea
Seoul: South Korea`s navy launched a maneuvering exercise Tuesday in the Yellow Sea to prepare against possible North Korean maritime infiltration.
"The exercise was held under many different situations that could arise at sea," an unidentified navy official was quoted as saying by Yonhap News Agency.
"It was also aimed at developing interoperability among
units from all branches of the service."
The one-day exercise took place in waters near Pyeongtaek
Port, some 70 kilometers south of Seoul. It involved destroyer
Sejong the Great, the South`s first Aegis destroyer equipped
with an integrated weapons control system, plus about 20 other
destroyers, frigates, patrollers and high-speed boats, Yonhap
Under the scenario of a North Korean submarine crossing
the tense de facto sea border, the navy also deployed the Lynx
anti-ship helicopter and P-3C anti-submarine surveillance
aircraft. An air force tactical aircraft and an army helicopter also joined the exercise, the official said.
South Korea has accused North Korea of sinking a South
Korean warship with a torpedo attack near the disputed western
sea border in March last year. North Korea has strongly denied
its involvement in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...