S Korea conducts exercise in Yellow Sea
Seoul: South Korea`s navy launched a maneuvering exercise Tuesday in the Yellow Sea to prepare against possible North Korean maritime infiltration.
"The exercise was held under many different situations that could arise at sea," an unidentified navy official was quoted as saying by Yonhap News Agency.
"It was also aimed at developing interoperability among
units from all branches of the service."
The one-day exercise took place in waters near Pyeongtaek
Port, some 70 kilometers south of Seoul. It involved destroyer
Sejong the Great, the South`s first Aegis destroyer equipped
with an integrated weapons control system, plus about 20 other
destroyers, frigates, patrollers and high-speed boats, Yonhap
Under the scenario of a North Korean submarine crossing
the tense de facto sea border, the navy also deployed the Lynx
anti-ship helicopter and P-3C anti-submarine surveillance
aircraft. An air force tactical aircraft and an army helicopter also joined the exercise, the official said.
South Korea has accused North Korea of sinking a South
Korean warship with a torpedo attack near the disputed western
sea border in March last year. North Korea has strongly denied
its involvement in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling