S Korea dismisses report of N Korea`s nuclear test
Seoul: S Korea has dismissed the
report that detection of radioactive xenon higher than average
was related to a North Korean nuclear test last month.
"It is our position (the xenon) was not related to North
Korea`s nuclear test," foreign ministry spokesman Kim Young
Sun told a press briefing yesterday.
The Chosun Ilbo cited a South Korean government source as
saying there had been detection of eight times more xenon than
average at a northeastern monitoring station in mid-May.
The newspaper raised question if the detection xenon
might have been related to a North Korean nuclear fusion test.
Spokesman Kim said xenon material had been detected, but
denied it was related to any North Korean nuclear test, saying
there were no seismic waves and citing expert assessment.
On May 12, North Korea claimed its scientists had
successfully created a nuclear fusion reaction to produce
energy, using "artificial solar" technology to achieve the
Nuclear fusion, which occurs naturally in stars such as
the Sun, is a process during which light atoms fuse to form
heavier ones. The fusion of elements with low atomic numbers
results in the release of substantial amounts of energy.
In defiance of international warnings not to do so, North
Korea conducted a second nuclear weapons test in May last
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!