S Korea dismisses report of N Korea`s nuclear test
Seoul: S Korea has dismissed the
report that detection of radioactive xenon higher than average
was related to a North Korean nuclear test last month.
"It is our position (the xenon) was not related to North
Korea`s nuclear test," foreign ministry spokesman Kim Young
Sun told a press briefing yesterday.
The Chosun Ilbo cited a South Korean government source as
saying there had been detection of eight times more xenon than
average at a northeastern monitoring station in mid-May.
The newspaper raised question if the detection xenon
might have been related to a North Korean nuclear fusion test.
Spokesman Kim said xenon material had been detected, but
denied it was related to any North Korean nuclear test, saying
there were no seismic waves and citing expert assessment.
On May 12, North Korea claimed its scientists had
successfully created a nuclear fusion reaction to produce
energy, using "artificial solar" technology to achieve the
Nuclear fusion, which occurs naturally in stars such as
the Sun, is a process during which light atoms fuse to form
heavier ones. The fusion of elements with low atomic numbers
results in the release of substantial amounts of energy.
In defiance of international warnings not to do so, North
Korea conducted a second nuclear weapons test in May last
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre