S Korea holds fire drill near N Korea sea border
Seoul: South Korea`s military on Thursday fired
thousands of shells during a live-fire artillery drill near
the tense Yellow Sea border with North Korea, the defence
Troops fired more than 5,000 rounds from K-9
self-propelled guns, Vulcan cannon and other artillery during
the two-hour morning exercise, a ministry spokesman said.
North Korea used a similar live-fire drill last November
as the pretext for its bombardment of Yeonpyeong island near
the border, which killed two South Korean Marines and two
"This is a regular drill aimed at strengthening military
preparedness in our seas and improving the Marines` shooting
skills," Yonhap news agency quoted one military official as
Thousands of Marines guard islands near the disputed
border, which was the scene of deadly naval clashes in 1999,
2002 and November 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'