S Korea launches major anti-submarine exercise
Seoul: South Korea`s navy Thursday staged a major anti-submarine exercise, its first show of strength since tensions with North Korea flared over the sinking of one of Seoul`s warships.
About 10 warships including a 3,000-tonne destroyer and three patrol boats took part in the one-day drill, Yonhap news agency quoted military officials as saying. The defence ministry declined to give immediate details.
The drill was held off the west coast town of Taean, far south of the disputed Yellow Sea border where the Cheonan corvette was torn in two by a North Korean torpedo on March 26.
The exercise involved the testing of anti-submarine depth charges and naval guns, the military officials said.
Tensions have risen sharply since a multinational investigation concluded last week that a North Korean submarine fired a heavy torpedo to sink the Cheonan with the loss of 46 crew members.
On Monday the South announced a series of military, diplomatic and economic measures including a trade cut-off to punish the North.
Among the military measures, Seoul will resume cross-border loudspeaker propaganda broadcasts which were halted six years ago. The United States and the South will soon hold a joint anti-submarine exercise.
The South has banned the North`s merchant ships from using its sea lanes. A destroyer has been stationed in the Jeju Strait off the south coast to turn back the vessels.
The North, which denies involvement in the sinking, has warned of war in response to any attempts to punish it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez