S Korea pledges stern response to North’s nuclear claims
Seoul: South Korea on Friday pledged a stern response to North Korean "threats and provocations," after the communist state said it was in the final stages of an enriched uranium nuclear weapons programme.
"We find it very regrettable that the North`s attitude goes against the UN resolutions," the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
In a letter to the Security Council, the North said earlier today that an experiment to enrich uranium -- a second route to a nuclear bomb -- has entered its final phase.
It also said it was building more atomic bombs from spent reactor fuel rods.
"This is intolerable," the Ministry said. "The government will take a stern and consistent response to North Korea`s threats and provocations."
Spokesman Moon Tae-Young said South Koreans will have "in-depth" talks with US special envoy on North Korea Steven Bosworth, who arrives here later today from Beijing.
Bosworth is visiting the region for talks aimed at restarting six-party nuclear disarmament talks, which the North is boycotting.
South Korea`s nuclear envoy Wi Sung-Lac said the North`s latest statement is "not helpful" and he would discuss it with Bosworth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH