S Korea rejects Japan proposal on isle dispute
Seoul: South Korea on Thursday formally rejected Japan`s proposal to refer their territorial dispute over a pair of South Korean-controlled islets to the International Court of Justice for a ruling on sovereignty
The South Korean Foreign Ministry handed over a diplomatic document to that effect to a senior Japanese embassy official at the ministry.
Yonhap News Agency quoted the document as saying "no territorial disputes exist" regarding the rocky outcrops known to South Koreans as Dokdo and asserting they are South Korean territory historically, geographically and under international laws.
The document was in reply to a diplomatic document Japan sent South Korea on August 21 formally proposing the two sides jointly refer to the ICJ their territorial dispute over the islets, which are known to Japanese as Takeshima.
Japan had made the same proposal twice previously, in 1954 and in 1962, with the same result.
South Korea`s position is that there exists no territorial dispute with Japan over the isles in question.
Japanese officials recently indicated that if Seoul were to formally reject Tokyo`s proposal to refer the dispute to the ICJ jointly, Tokyo would do so unilaterally.
The ICJ, however, has jurisdiction over a dispute only when the parties to the dispute have agreed to bring the case to the court.
Japan-South Korea diplomatic ties have deteriorated to the lowest level in years following South Korean President Lee Myung Bak`s unprecedented visit on August 10 to the disputed islets.
That prompted Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda to send Lee a letter in which he protested the trip and called for the territorial dispute to be referred to the ICJ.
But South Korea refused to accept Noda`s letter.
Last Friday, Noda held a press conference at which he accused South Korea of having "illegally" occupied the islands since the 1950s. He urged that the issue be resolved on the principles of "law and justice" on the international stage.
The two volcanic islets and the numerous small reefs around them have a combined area of only 0.21 square kilometres and are located in the Sea of Japan, which Koreans calls the East Sea.
The two countries have been contesting ownership over the islets since the early 1950s, which culminated in South Korea dispatching a permanent battalion there in 1954.
Since then, South Korea has kept security personnel stationed there and constructed lodgings, a monitoring facility, a lighthouse, and port and docking facilities. (Kyodo)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark