‘S Korea to deploy Apache choppers near N Korea’
Seoul: South Korea plans to deploy Apache
choppers to a border island to guard against attacks by North
Korea after Pyongyang`s deadly shelling of another frontline
island in November, a report said today.
The South`s military is building helicopter hangars
capable of accommodating several attack helicopters in
Baengnyeong island near the tense maritime border on the
Yellow Sea, Yonhap news agency said, citing a military source.
By October 2012, South Korea`s military will have 36
Apache attack choppers armed with guided missiles and rockets,
some of which will be deployed to the closest island to the
disputed border with the North, Yonhap said.
Local media have reported the North has recently built
a new naval base in Goampo, about 50 kilometres north of
Baengnyeong, that could send some 60 hovercraft with military
commandos aboard to the South.
"We now need large attack choppers since the (North`s)
naval base has turned out to be far bigger than we had
thought, posing a bigger threat of infiltration," said a
source quoted by Yonhap.
A defence ministry spokesman said it has been trying
to strengthen the military presence near the border, but
declined to elaborate further.
The Yellow Sea maritime border has been the scene of
deadly naval clashes between two Koreas in 1999, 2002 and
One of five frontier islands there -- Yeonpyeong --
was shelled last November by the North in artillery attacks
that killed four South Koreans including two civilians.
Seoul since then has deployed more troops and weapons
to the frontline islands that had long been guarded by
thousands of marines and naval forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt