S Korea, US to practise destroying N Korea weapons
Washington: The US and South Korean troops will practise destroying North Korean weapons of mass destruction during an annual joint exercise this month to improve their combat-readiness, according to a report.
The allies will form a combined unit called the Joint Task Force for Elimination (JTF-E) when they begin a 10-day Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercise on August 16, South Korea`s Yonhap news agency reported.
Ulchi Freedom Guardian is an annual computer-assisted simulation command-post exercise.
Some 350 troops from the US Army`s 20th Support Command and South Korean soldiers will simulate the detection and destruction of North Korean atomic bombs, missiles and chemical weapons, Yonhap said.
"In contingencies, the JTF-E will be tasked with identifying North Korean facilities suspected of producing weapons of mass destruction and destroying them," a South Korean government source was quoted as saying.
US and South Korean officials described the exercise as defensive and routine. The North habitually describes such joint drills as a rehearsal for invasion.
Tensions on the peninsula have flared since the South accused the North of torpedoing one of its warships with the loss of 46 lives in March 2010.
The North denied the charge but last November shelled a border island, killing four South Koreans including two civilians.
South Korea has since then staged a series of drills alone or together with US troops as a show of strength against the North.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj