S Korean military to be on high alert during G-20 Summit
Seoul: The South Korean armed forces will
be on their highest level of military preparedness starting
later this month, in order to ensure Seoul`s safe and
successful hosting of the Group of 20 (G-20) summits in
November, the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said.
South Korea`s military has three ascending levels of
preparedness. Since opening the G-20 operational headquarters
on September 1, the military has maintained Level 2 with
"reinforced preparedness." The G-20 summit is scheduled for
November 11-12 at Convention and Exhibition Center (COEX) in
Under Level 3, the military will guard key national
facilities, bolster the joint South Korea-US monitoring system
and raise its readiness level against armed infiltration and
"With the summit around the corner, we will deploy forces
at major facilities and areas surrounding the summit`s venue,"
the JCS said yesterday. "We will join forces with the coast
guard and inspect and block (suspect) vessels and also
strengthen our air patrol," he added.
The JCS also said it will share intelligence and
information on potential terrorist attacks with the US forces
stationed in South Korea and expand their joint monitoring
capabilities, including the use of U-2 reconnaissance
In a related move, General Han Min-koo, Chairman of the
JCS, recently paid visits to Capital Defense Command and Air
Force Operations Command to encourage the military`s
cooperation during the G-20 meetings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'