S Korean military to be on high alert during G-20 Summit
Seoul: The South Korean armed forces will
be on their highest level of military preparedness starting
later this month, in order to ensure Seoul`s safe and
successful hosting of the Group of 20 (G-20) summits in
November, the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said.
South Korea`s military has three ascending levels of
preparedness. Since opening the G-20 operational headquarters
on September 1, the military has maintained Level 2 with
"reinforced preparedness." The G-20 summit is scheduled for
November 11-12 at Convention and Exhibition Center (COEX) in
Under Level 3, the military will guard key national
facilities, bolster the joint South Korea-US monitoring system
and raise its readiness level against armed infiltration and
"With the summit around the corner, we will deploy forces
at major facilities and areas surrounding the summit`s venue,"
the JCS said yesterday. "We will join forces with the coast
guard and inspect and block (suspect) vessels and also
strengthen our air patrol," he added.
The JCS also said it will share intelligence and
information on potential terrorist attacks with the US forces
stationed in South Korea and expand their joint monitoring
capabilities, including the use of U-2 reconnaissance
In a related move, General Han Min-koo, Chairman of the
JCS, recently paid visits to Capital Defense Command and Air
Force Operations Command to encourage the military`s
cooperation during the G-20 meetings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing