S Korean official may visit China over ship sinking: Report
Seoul: South Korea is considering sending a high-level envoy to Beijing to secure its backing at the UN Security Council to rebuke North Korea over the sinking of one of its warships, a Foreign Ministry official said.
"We are considering sending Chung Yung Woo, a Vice Foreign Minister, to China at the proper time," the official said on condition of anonymity, according to Yonhap News Agency.
Called by Foreign Minister Yu Myung Hwan, the meeting discussed future responses to the torpedo attack by the North, including how to win support against Pyongyang at the Security Council, the official was quoted as saying.
Seoul needs to win support from veto-wielding council members such as Russia and China, which have traditionally been close to Pyongyang, to secure a UN censure resolution against the North.
Seoul is also considering sending a civilian-military probe team for a briefing at the UN Security Council if there is a request from the council, he said.
The official, however, said nothing was decided regarding the two visits.
The timing of Chung`s Beijing visit will be decided according to "at what point in time and at which stage would be most proper to hold talks with China," the official was quoted as saying.
During the meeting, the official also said, there was an opinion that Seoul should take a "highly diplomatic" approach to the issue because it should have in mind international efforts to denuclearize North Korea at the same time, according to Yonhap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!