S Korean warship sinking: UN orders probe; India calls for peace
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Saturday, May 22, 2010, 00:40
  
Seoul: The US-led United Nations Command (UNC) said on Friday it would launch an inquiry into claims by South Korea that North Korea torpedoed one of its warships.

A multinational investigation led by South Korea concluded on Thursday there was overwhelming evidence that a North Korean torpedo split the 1,200-tonne corvette in two on March 26, killing 46 sailors.

"The UNC is convening a special investigations team...to review the findings of the investigation and determine the scope of armistice violation that occurred in the sinking,” the UNC said in a statement.

The UNC has been in the South since the UN sent an international force to defend it after the Korean War broke out in 1950. The conflict ended in 1953 with an armistice but not a peace treaty.

South Korean President Lee Myung-Bak today described the torpedo attack as a breach of the armistice.

The team will include members from the UNC and the Neutral Nations Supervisory Commission, an armistice watchdog.

The UNC members include representatives from Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, New Zealand, South Korea, Turkey, Britain and the United States. The Neutral Nations Supervisory Commission consists of members from Sweden and Switzerland.

"The team will report their findings to the United Nations," the UNC statement said.

India appreciates S Korea's 'restraint' on ship sinking issue

India on Friday condemned the sinking of a South Korean ship 'Cheonan' and appreciated the maturity and restraint demonstrated by that country in handling the issue to maintain peace and stability in the region.

"The Government of the Republic of Korea has shared with us the report of the Joint Civilian-Military Investigation Group established to inquire into the causes of the sinking of Frigate 'Cheonan' on 26 March 2010," an External Affairs Ministry statement said here.

"We condemn the incident and condole with the Republic of Korea on the tragic loss of life. India appreciates the maturity and restraint with which the Republic of Korea has been handling the issue with a view to maintaining peace and stability in the region," it said.

According to reports, the investigations carried out by Joint Civilian-Military Investigation Group and released yesterday concluded that the warship had been sunk by a North Korean torpedo.

The South Korean navy ship was sunk near the North Korea border on March 26 with 104 people onboard. While 58 people were rescued, 46 crew were killed in the mishap.

PTI


First Published: Saturday, May 22, 2010, 00:40


comments powered by Disqus