S Korea’s military on top security alert to guard G20 summit
Seoul: South Korea`s military was put on
top security alert this week to guard next month`s G20 summit
against any disruptions by North Korea or international
"Our military has been placed on the highest level of
security alert" until November 13, a spokesman for the Joint
Chiefs of Staff told a news agency.
Seoul will host world leaders including US President
Barack Obama for the Group of 20 summit from November 11-12,
in what is considered the nation`s biggest appearance on the
world stage since the 1988 Seoul Olympics.
The South`s military, helped by US reconnaissance
equipment, is closely monitoring movements by North Korean
troops, the spokesman said.
The South`s military has been conducting drills to
cope with possible provocations by the North or terror
attacks, with naval forces and the coastguard monitoring sea
vessels, he said.
Police have also drawn up strict security measures. A
special law came into force this month giving police greater
power to break up street rallies and allowing a military
presence in public places.
Police plan to deploy a record 50,000 officers to
guard the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez