S Korea’s military on top security alert to guard G20 summit
Seoul: South Korea`s military was put on
top security alert this week to guard next month`s G20 summit
against any disruptions by North Korea or international
"Our military has been placed on the highest level of
security alert" until November 13, a spokesman for the Joint
Chiefs of Staff told a news agency.
Seoul will host world leaders including US President
Barack Obama for the Group of 20 summit from November 11-12,
in what is considered the nation`s biggest appearance on the
world stage since the 1988 Seoul Olympics.
The South`s military, helped by US reconnaissance
equipment, is closely monitoring movements by North Korean
troops, the spokesman said.
The South`s military has been conducting drills to
cope with possible provocations by the North or terror
attacks, with naval forces and the coastguard monitoring sea
vessels, he said.
Police have also drawn up strict security measures. A
special law came into force this month giving police greater
power to break up street rallies and allowing a military
presence in public places.
Police plan to deploy a record 50,000 officers to
guard the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH