S Korea`s Park forms special reunification panel
Seoul: South Korean President Park Geun-Hye announced Tuesday the creation of a committee under her direct control to work out "systematic and constructive" plans for reunification of the divided Korean peninsula.
The presidential committee will include experts from every sector of society and map out a blueprint for expanding inter-Korean dialogue and exchanges with a view to eventual unification.
"For true peace... it is necessary to make preparations for reunification that will open a new era on the peninsula," she said in a national televised address to mark completion of her first year in office.
The speech coincided with a recent thaw in North-South ties, reflected in a six-day reunion for families divided by the Korean War.
The reunion, which was held in the north and ended Tuesday, was the first of its kind for more than three years.
Park`s address was focused on the South Korean economy which she insists -- contrary to many experts -- will benefit enormously from unification with North Korea.
While most studies have pointed out the enormous cost of absorbing the impoverished North, Park has highlighted what she sees as a potential "bonanza" to be reaped from the combination of South Korean technical expertise and the North`s natural resources.
"I will do my best to lay the cornerstone," Park said, adding that her committee would "work out systematic and constructive directions towards reunification".
The 1950-53 Korean War concluded with an armistice rather than a peace treaty, which means the two Koreas technically remain at war.
Reunification has long been the stated priority for both Seoul and Pyongyang, but pro-merger sentiment in the prosperous South -- especially among younger people -- has waned considerably in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH