S Korea`s top prosecutor resigns over sex scandal
Seoul: South Korea`s chief prosecutor announced Friday he has stepped down amid sex and bribery scandals within the prosecution service.
"As the prosecutor general, I offer my apology to the people for the huge shock and disappointment," Prosecutor General Han Sang-dae said at a press conference, Yonhap reported. His term was due to end in 2014.
His resignation follows allegations against a junior prosecutor of having sex with a female suspect he was questioning earlier this month.
In a separate case, a senior prosecutor was arrested for allegedly taking bribes from businessmen worth thousands of dollars.
President Lee Myung-bak immediately accepted Han`s resignation, saying "the prosecution needs to reflect on itself".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley