S Sudan`s political shakeup: 29 ministers fired
Juba: South Sudan President Salva Kiir has dismissed his first vice president and 29 government ministers.
In a decree read on national television this evening, Kiir also suspended Pagan Amum, the secretary general of the ruling political party, the SPLM.
Kiir also reduced the number of ministries in his government from 29 to 18, though it wasn`t clear which ministries had been cut. No reasons were given for the shake-up.
Reports of a power struggle in the ruling party have persisted, particularly between Kiir and his first vice president, Riek Macher, who has said he is interested in running for president in 2015.
Amum, South Sudan`s chief negotiator in talks with Sudan, criticised Kiir`s decision as politically motivated.
Last month, Kiir suspended two cabinet members and ordered an investigation into corruption allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui