S Sudan`s political shakeup: 29 ministers fired
Juba: South Sudan President Salva Kiir has dismissed his first vice president and 29 government ministers.
In a decree read on national television this evening, Kiir also suspended Pagan Amum, the secretary general of the ruling political party, the SPLM.
Kiir also reduced the number of ministries in his government from 29 to 18, though it wasn`t clear which ministries had been cut. No reasons were given for the shake-up.
Reports of a power struggle in the ruling party have persisted, particularly between Kiir and his first vice president, Riek Macher, who has said he is interested in running for president in 2015.
Amum, South Sudan`s chief negotiator in talks with Sudan, criticised Kiir`s decision as politically motivated.
Last month, Kiir suspended two cabinet members and ordered an investigation into corruption allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi