Sacked Chinese professor challenges one-child policy
Beijing: A Chinese law professor, who was
fired last year after his wife gave birth to their second
child, has filed a lawsuit challenging the controversial
In the lawsuit, Yang Zhizhu, an assistant professor at
China Youth University for Political Sciences, said that the
draconian measure aimed at controlling the population need to
be revised, if not scrapped altogether.
Enforcing its one-child policy strictly, the
authorities suspended Yang from his teaching position in April
2010 after it was discovered that his wife had given birth to
a second child in December 2009.
The Haidian District population and family planning
commission had also fined him 240,642 yuan (USD 36,300) and
barred his child from obtaining house hold registration
crucial for school, job and marriage.
"Without a hukou (household registration), she is not
entitled to go to school, find a job or get married," Yang
told state-run Global Times.
44-year-old Yang challenged the government actions by
suing local family planning authorities in an attempt to
promote the need to have the policy revised, if not scrapped
The trial of his came up for hearing at the local
court in Haidian. This is perhaps a rare case that a Chinese
citizen went court challenging the government policy under the
"I don`t deserve such a harsh punishment. I do not
think I will win the lawsuit, but I want my case to raise
public awareness, and hope to eventually prompt legislators to
change or revoke birth-control regulations. There are a lot of
loopholes," Yang, told the daily.
However, Yang himself had ruled out the possibility
the family-planning policy could be cancelled as "it goes
against China`s conditions".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town