Sacked Chinese professor challenges one-child policy
Beijing: A Chinese law professor, who was
fired last year after his wife gave birth to their second
child, has filed a lawsuit challenging the controversial
In the lawsuit, Yang Zhizhu, an assistant professor at
China Youth University for Political Sciences, said that the
draconian measure aimed at controlling the population need to
be revised, if not scrapped altogether.
Enforcing its one-child policy strictly, the
authorities suspended Yang from his teaching position in April
2010 after it was discovered that his wife had given birth to
a second child in December 2009.
The Haidian District population and family planning
commission had also fined him 240,642 yuan (USD 36,300) and
barred his child from obtaining house hold registration
crucial for school, job and marriage.
"Without a hukou (household registration), she is not
entitled to go to school, find a job or get married," Yang
told state-run Global Times.
44-year-old Yang challenged the government actions by
suing local family planning authorities in an attempt to
promote the need to have the policy revised, if not scrapped
The trial of his came up for hearing at the local
court in Haidian. This is perhaps a rare case that a Chinese
citizen went court challenging the government policy under the
"I don`t deserve such a harsh punishment. I do not
think I will win the lawsuit, but I want my case to raise
public awareness, and hope to eventually prompt legislators to
change or revoke birth-control regulations. There are a lot of
loopholes," Yang, told the daily.
However, Yang himself had ruled out the possibility
the family-planning policy could be cancelled as "it goes
against China`s conditions".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in