Sacked Chinese professor challenges one-child policy
Beijing: A Chinese law professor, who was
fired last year after his wife gave birth to their second
child, has filed a lawsuit challenging the controversial
In the lawsuit, Yang Zhizhu, an assistant professor at
China Youth University for Political Sciences, said that the
draconian measure aimed at controlling the population need to
be revised, if not scrapped altogether.
Enforcing its one-child policy strictly, the
authorities suspended Yang from his teaching position in April
2010 after it was discovered that his wife had given birth to
a second child in December 2009.
The Haidian District population and family planning
commission had also fined him 240,642 yuan (USD 36,300) and
barred his child from obtaining house hold registration
crucial for school, job and marriage.
"Without a hukou (household registration), she is not
entitled to go to school, find a job or get married," Yang
told state-run Global Times.
44-year-old Yang challenged the government actions by
suing local family planning authorities in an attempt to
promote the need to have the policy revised, if not scrapped
The trial of his came up for hearing at the local
court in Haidian. This is perhaps a rare case that a Chinese
citizen went court challenging the government policy under the
"I don`t deserve such a harsh punishment. I do not
think I will win the lawsuit, but I want my case to raise
public awareness, and hope to eventually prompt legislators to
change or revoke birth-control regulations. There are a lot of
loopholes," Yang, told the daily.
However, Yang himself had ruled out the possibility
the family-planning policy could be cancelled as "it goes
against China`s conditions".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan