Saddam Hussein gave $1.3 mn fortune to British family?
London: Slain Iraqi president Saddam Hussein once gave 840,000 pounds ($1.3 million) fortune to the father of a Briton who was murdered in Alps massacre, it has been claimed.
Hussain gave the money to the family of British engineer Saad Al-Hilli, 50, from Surrey, who was murdered with his wife in the Alps, Daily Mail reported.
The Iraqi leader is said to have deposited the sum in a Swiss bank account in the name of Al-Hilli’s father.
The claim, apparently originating with German intelligence, adds a sensational twist to the baffling massacre in which Al-Hilli was killed along with his wife Iqbal, 47, his mother-in-law and a French cyclist.
They were killed in an attack which left Al-Hilli`s seven-year-old daughter badly injured and her four-year-old sister traumatised.
Al-Hilli’s father Kadhim was once close to Saddam`s Ba’ath Party, fell foul of the ex-Iraqi president in the 1970s, and fled Iraq for Britain.
The site of the Sep 5 massacre, an isolated lay-by near Lake Annecy in eastern France, is only an hour’s drive from Geneva where the money was deposited.
Swiss prosecutor Dario Zanni believes the family may have been returning from there when it was ambushed.
It has also raised the possibility that Al-Hilli had managed to gain access to the account, thought to have remained in his father’s name and this fact was known to his killer.
The story was reported in French newspaper Le Monde.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read