Saddam planned 2006 prison escape: Lawyer`s memoirs
Amman: Deposed Iraqi president Saddam Hussein planned to escape from his US-run prison in 2006 with the help of loyalists, including former bodyguards, according to a book written by one of his lawyers.
"Saddam`s plan to escape prison was supposed to take place in the summer of 2006, with the backing of the Iraqi resistance and a special force of bodyguards," Khalil al-Dulaimi wrote in ‘Saddam Hussein Out of US Prison: What Happened’.
"Under the plan, the Iraqi fighters were given orders to attack Baghdad`s Green Zone and the headquarters of the US Marines at the capital`s airport, before raiding his jail" near the airport, according to a copy of the 480-page book.
"He planned to flee to Anbar province in western Iraq to make a quick plan to unify Iraqi resistance groups and carry out an offensive on Baghdad," Amman-based Dulaimi, himself an Iraqi, said in the book.
Dulaimi said the plan was dropped "after a shooting incident outside (Saddam`s) detention centre, which led to fortifying the facility and boosting security measures."
Six months later, Saddam was dead. He was hanged in December after being convicted of crimes against humanity for the killing of 148 Shi’ite civilians following an assassination attempt against him in 1982.
Saddam had been captured by US troops in December 2003, eight months after the fall of Baghdad, in a hole on a farm near his hometown of Tikrit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof