Saif al-Islam could face trial in two months
London: Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, the son of slain Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi, could be put on trial in as little as two months, the nation’s interim justice minister has announced.
Mohammed Alagy of the National Transitional Council, said that the process of putting Saif on trial in Libya, which has been approved by the International Criminal Court, might be faster than the outside world expected.
“The investigation, run under the proper judicial system, will last a couple of months. And then he will be put on trial. We are ready,” the Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
Alagy was speaking after meeting Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, who has agreed that Saif’s trial can be held in Libya.
Moreno-Ocampo said that the main condition would be that he would ‘not be shielded from justice’.
He said that he had sought no guarantees that the death sentence would not be imposed.
The international court has charged Saif with crimes against humanity committed during attempts to suppress the uprising that toppled his father.
Saif was captured on Saturday in the southern Saharan hinterlands and is being held in the western town of Zintan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video