Saif al-Islam to be tried in Libya next month
Tripoli: Libya’s newly-elected government will put Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, the son of the country’s late dictator, Muammar Gaddafi, on trial next month.
Saif al-Islam will be charged for urging supporters to kill demonstrators and revolutionaries during last year’s uprising, and will face execution by hanging if he is found guilty.
According to The Telegraph, plans for the trial of Saif were revealed by an official of the prosecutor-general’s office, Taha Naser Bara.
“We are sure that the evidence we have gathered is solid and it will shock and surprise the world. We believe we are capable of holding a fair trial,” he said.
“The prosecution case includes tape recordings, video clips, statements from people, and written documents, as well as his declarations on television stations during the revolution,” Bara added.
According to the report, Giuma Atigha, the deputy head to the newly-elected president of Libya`s Assembly, who was jailed for 10 years by the old regime, said: “It is important to hold the trial. We want to show the world what we can do”.
Three Libyan judges will hear the case, which is expected to continue up to six months, with two prosecuting counsel, the report said.
The prosecution will argue that he played an important role throughout the uprising in directing attacks and helping his father’s supporters, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city