Sailor, nurse in iconic Times Square pic reunite 67 years later
London: The sailor and nurse, who won many hearts in America with their passionate kiss signifying the end of World War II, have reunited at the location of the famous smooch to reflect on the photograph that that has become an epic moment in US history.
After decades of dispute, the couple in the 1945 photograph were revealed to be 89-year-olds George Mendonsa and Greta Zimmer Friedman.
“It was the moment. You come back from the Pacific, and finally, the war ends,” the Daily Mail quoted Mendonsa as telling CBS.
Mendonsa told how he was on a date with another woman named Rita Petry at Radio City Music Hall on August 14 when news of the Japanese surrender was announced.
“They stopped the show and they said, “The war is over. The Japanese have surrendered”,” he said.
Mendonsa and his date, who would become his future wife, rushed to a nearby bar where the sailor admits he ‘popped quite a few drinks.’
As they set on their way, Mendonsa spotted a woman in a nurse’s uniform - he left Petry and rushed to grab her.
“The excitement of the war being over, plus I had a few drinks,” he said.
“So when I saw the nurse, I grabbed her, and I kissed her,” he said.
Friedman said that she was shocked by what Mendonsa did.
“I did not see him approaching, and before I know it, I was in this vice grip,” Friedman said.
That moment of wild elation, gratitude and passion was captured by LIFE photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM