Sailor, nurse in iconic Times Square pic reunite 67 years later
London: The sailor and nurse, who won many hearts in America with their passionate kiss signifying the end of World War II, have reunited at the location of the famous smooch to reflect on the photograph that that has become an epic moment in US history.
After decades of dispute, the couple in the 1945 photograph were revealed to be 89-year-olds George Mendonsa and Greta Zimmer Friedman.
“It was the moment. You come back from the Pacific, and finally, the war ends,” the Daily Mail quoted Mendonsa as telling CBS.
Mendonsa told how he was on a date with another woman named Rita Petry at Radio City Music Hall on August 14 when news of the Japanese surrender was announced.
“They stopped the show and they said, “The war is over. The Japanese have surrendered”,” he said.
Mendonsa and his date, who would become his future wife, rushed to a nearby bar where the sailor admits he ‘popped quite a few drinks.’
As they set on their way, Mendonsa spotted a woman in a nurse’s uniform - he left Petry and rushed to grab her.
“The excitement of the war being over, plus I had a few drinks,” he said.
“So when I saw the nurse, I grabbed her, and I kissed her,” he said.
Friedman said that she was shocked by what Mendonsa did.
“I did not see him approaching, and before I know it, I was in this vice grip,” Friedman said.
That moment of wild elation, gratitude and passion was captured by LIFE photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok