Saleh to sacrifice `blood and soul` to confront opponents
Sana`a: Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh has vowed to confront with his "blood and soul" the anti-government street protests being staged in the country seeking his resignation.
Addressing tens of thousands of his loyalists in the capital city Sana`a Friday, Saleh swore to "sacrifice everything" for his loyalists.
"I promise you that I will sacrifice my blood and soul and everything precious for the sake of the great people," Xinhua quoted the Yemeni president as saying.
He is facing mounting street protests demanding he leave power immediately,
Saleh made no more remarks to the loyalists, who flooded Sana`a from several provinces to back his constitutional right to stay in office until his term expires in 2013.
Saleh`s loyalists dubbed the demonstration "Friday of Solidarity" to counter their rivals in the opposition, who also drew tens of thousands in a separated square outside Sana`a University Friday, calling it as "Friday of Liberation".
The president`s supporters staged their demonstration in downtown Sana`a and Al-Sabeen area, which is close to the presidential palace.
Police and military forces were deployed at the entrances of the rallies. They had set up large roadblocks to separate the two rival rallies to avoid any possible clashes.
Both pro and anti-government demonstrations were reportedly organised in all major provinces.
The president and opposition have reached a deadlock in their ongoing negotiations for peacefully transiting the power. They have been trading accusations of hindering the conciliation talks.
The standoff between them has led to deterioration of economic situation as well as security condition, following government`s pulling out police from some towns.
The absence of police and deterioration of security in some southern provinces led anti-government protesters to set up militias for self-defence, while well-armed resurgent Al Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) seized control over some remote areas.
He claimed that the majority of people were supporting him. He declared not to offer any more concessions to the opposition which wants him to resign before 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi