Same sex weddings expected in Britain next year
London: The first same sex weddings in Britain are expected to happen from March 29 next year, Women and Equalities Minister Maria Miller said Tuesday.
The British parliament approved the Marriage (same-sex couples) Act 2013 in July enabling same sex weddings in England and Wales, Xinhua reported citing a statement issued by the department of culture, media and sport.
At the same time, the British government has also worked hard to "ensure that all the arrangements are in place to enable same sex couples to marry as soon as possible," it said.
Miller said: "Marriage is one of our most important institutions, and from March 29, 2014, it will be open to everyone, irrespective of whether they fall in love with someone of the same sex or opposite sex."
"This is just another step in the evolution of marriage and I know that many couples up and down the country will be hugely excited that they can now plan for their big day and demonstrate their love and commitment to each other by getting married," she said.
According to the new law, couples wishing to be among the first to marry will need to formally give notice of their intention to marry March 13.
Miller said couples in civil partnerships, which have been legal since 2005, will be able to convert their relationship to marriage by the end of next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands