Sanaa streets quiet a day after demos
Sanaa: Sanaa was quiet on Friday with no
sign of the thousands of protesters who had flooded the
streets the previous day to demand the ouster of President Ali
Abdullah Saleh, in power since 1978.
Reports that the protesters would stage another
rally after the weekly Muslim prayers proved unfounded and the
situation was normal for a Friday, a weekly holiday in Yemen,
with no visible extra police deployment,a reporter said.
Saleh, who has been president for decades, was
re-elected in September 2006 for a seven-year mandate.
A draft amendment of the constitution, under
discussion in parliament despite opposition protests, could
allow him -- if passed -- to remain in office for life.
Slogans chanted during yesterday`s demonstration in
Sanaa were firm in demanding Saleh`s departure.
"No to extending (presidential tenure). No to
bequeathing (the presidency)," chanted demonstrators,
insisting that it was "time for change."
Security measures at the demonstrations appeared
relaxed, but were tight around the interior ministry and the
Saleh`s ruling General People`s Congress (GPC),
meanwhile, organised four simultaneous counter-demonstrations
which were attended by thousands of the government`s backers.
"No to toppling democracy and the constitution,"
the president`s supporters said on their banners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof