Sanctions haven`t worked in Iran yet: Leon Panetta
Tunis: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta is acknowledging that international sanctions have not achieved their aim of compelling Iran to rein in its nuclear ambitions.
He said on Monday that sanctions are hurting Iran`s economy.
And he said that although the "results are not obvious at the moment”, Iran has at least expressed a willingness recently to engage in nuclear negotiations.
Panetta told reporters at the North Africa American Military Cemetery that the international community is still determined to stiffen the sanctions in hopes of preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon.
Panetta said the United States "will not tolerate" an Iran with a nuclear weapon, and he said that it is prepared to use "all options" to stop Tehran. Iran says it is enriching uranium for civilian energy, not military purposes.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev