Sanctions haven`t worked in Iran yet: Leon Panetta
Tunis: US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta is acknowledging that international sanctions have not achieved their aim of compelling Iran to rein in its nuclear ambitions.
He said on Monday that sanctions are hurting Iran`s economy.
And he said that although the "results are not obvious at the moment”, Iran has at least expressed a willingness recently to engage in nuclear negotiations.
Panetta told reporters at the North Africa American Military Cemetery that the international community is still determined to stiffen the sanctions in hopes of preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon.
Panetta said the United States "will not tolerate" an Iran with a nuclear weapon, and he said that it is prepared to use "all options" to stop Tehran. Iran says it is enriching uranium for civilian energy, not military purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city