Sandy storm: NYU hospital plunges into darkness
New York: As Hurricane Sandy slammed into New Jersey on Monday, the New York University hospital plunged into darkness, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg reportedly said on Monday.
Bloomberg said that the administration is working on evacuating the patients from the hospital and that the storm surge was expected to recede by midnight, as per a news agency.
The hospital complex is near the East River in an area of lower Manhattan where flooding has been reported.
Bloomberg says a few parts of lower Manhattan still have power. He said there have been a large number of fires reported from downed power lines.
At least 19 workers were reportedly trapped inside a power station on the eastern side of Manhattan.
The top of a construction crane allegedly dangled over a street near Central Park after it collapsed in high winds on the top of a construction, set to become the tallest residential building in the city. The residents of the area were evacuated fearing the crane crashing to the ground.
(With Agencies Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- China, North Korea envoys hold talks in Laos
- If Narsingh Yadav is found guilty, Sushil Kumar cannot replace him for Rio Olympics – Here's why!
- Rohit Bal's fusion of bling and royalty draws curtain on India Couture Week
- Watch 'Kala Chashma' teaser: Check out Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra's desi swag
- Navjot Singh Sidhu says he quit Rajya Sabha because he was told to stay away from Punjab