Sandy storm: NYU hospital plunges into darkness
New York: As Hurricane Sandy slammed into New Jersey on Monday, the New York University hospital plunged into darkness, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg reportedly said on Monday.
Bloomberg said that the administration is working on evacuating the patients from the hospital and that the storm surge was expected to recede by midnight, as per a news agency.
The hospital complex is near the East River in an area of lower Manhattan where flooding has been reported.
Bloomberg says a few parts of lower Manhattan still have power. He said there have been a large number of fires reported from downed power lines.
At least 19 workers were reportedly trapped inside a power station on the eastern side of Manhattan.
The top of a construction crane allegedly dangled over a street near Central Park after it collapsed in high winds on the top of a construction, set to become the tallest residential building in the city. The residents of the area were evacuated fearing the crane crashing to the ground.
(With Agencies Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing